Monday, December 3, 2007

Top 25-End of the Regular Season

It's the only poll that really matters and I have to admit I had a tough time picking who I wanted to put at #2 this week.

I had little issue putting Ohio State at #1. Everyone can rip the Big 10 all they want, I think they will come out in bowl season and show some teams. I can tell you the Buckeyes won't look past their SEC opponent this year.

Which brings me to LSU, who I decided in the end to give a slight edge over USC and Oklahoma. USC, Oklahoma and West Virginia can all point to injuries for one of their two losses, but the team I feel really bad for is Oregon, who I think would be in the title game if Dixon was hurt.

I've had LSU lower than most all year because I've been annoyed by how close their winning games. But in the end they won them, and that their two L's are in 3OT I went with them.

I don't feel very bad for Georgia, who was blown out by Tennessee. Sorry Mark Richt, that and a home loss to South Carolina is what cost you, not some media decree. He better hope the rest of the Bulldogs don't sulk or they may get Boise Stated.

But probably not. Hawaii has drawn a lot of comparisons to last year's Boise State squad, but I don't think they come close talent-wise. Boise was a legitimate Top 5 team last year, Hawaii is borderline Top 20. But hey, they win close games.

By the way, for those who want a playoff, there's one solution: Stop watching. As long as you're tuning in and buying tickets, it ain't changing, no matter how many self-righteous rants the pundits spew.

Here's my final poll:
1. Ohio State (11-1). Remember when everyone said they were out of it?
2. LSU (11-2). Hoping OSU game doesn't go to triple overtime.
3. USC (10-2). Wish they had that Stanford game back.
4. Oklahoma (11-2). My pre-season pick to win it came oh so close.
5. Georgia (10-2). Consolation for not getting in BCS title game: $15 mill+ from Sugar Bowl.
6. Missouri (11-2). Need to get the Sooners off the schedule.
7. Virginia Tech (11-2). You lost to LSU by six TDs. Quit whining.
8. West Virginia (10-2). Steve Slaton had 11 yards against Pitt!
9. Florida (9-3). If BCS had passed on Illini, Florida fans would've seen Zook in bowl game.
10. Illinois (9-3). Hey Gators, you in the BCS?
11. Kansas (11-1). Mark Mangenius: Shows everyone should play #96 schedule.
12. Arizona St. (10-2). Hawaii's end zone interception costs Sun Devil a home BCS game.
13. Boston College (10-3). Matty Ice threw one of the worst passes I've seen at end of VT game.
14. Wisconsin (9-3). Win over Vols would give Wisky their third straight 10-win season.
15. Auburn (8-4). Tommy Tuberville should lose eight games more often, he might be in NFL.
16. Tennessee (9-4). Ainge is SEC Title Game MVP.
17. Arkansas (8-4). McFadden and Felix hope Missouri sulks about missing BCS.
18. Cincinnati (9-3). Bearcats get back-to-back bowls for first time since 2000-2002.
19. Clemson (9-3). Narrow wins against Cocks sets up Tigers vs. Tigers in Chick-Fil-A Bowl.
20. South Florida (9-3). It's not #2, but successful season.
21. Virginia (9-3). Texas Tech should present good match-up in Gator Bowl.
22. Hawaii (12-0). Will have a chance to prove me wrong against Georgia.
23. Texas Tech (8-4). Win over Oklahoma the feather in their cap.
24. Kentucky (7-5). It's a long fall since earlier this year, but they won me over in the end.
25. Texas (9-3). Almost put Southern Illinois here instead.

--Nate Sandstrom

No comments: