Monday, January 21, 2008

So much for continuity

When Joe Gibbs stepped down earlier this month, Dan Snyder talked about continuity. At this point, it's hard to believe the Redskins team that takes the field on Opening Day 2008 will resemble the team that had a 4th quarter lead in Seattle in the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure if the 'Skins wanted assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams to be the new head coach, they wouldn't bring him in for four FOUR interviews. As this Washington Times article points out, it's not Gregg Williams holding things up.

It's clear there some reason Snyder doesn't want to hire Williams — and I predict he won't.

Whoever comes in will bring a new staff, and with tge cap issues will get rid of Jansen, Springs, Washington, Griffin and more. It will be another year of a new system and new players. People can talk about Campbell "showing progress" and some of his picks will be chalked up to learning a new system. My early call for next season is 6-10.

Some may say "so what." This team barely made the playoffs and aren't close to being a winner.

I disagree. They are close to winning the weak NFC, which I would consider an accomplishment. I don't know that anyone else will catch the Pats/Chargers/Colts in the next two years, so making the Super Bowl would be good enough to me.

If it were my choice, I'd cut Lloyd, restructure a couple deals and leave pretty much everything else in tact. Let Saunders run the offense and Williams run the defense. Of course maybe Williams is not OK with that, and that's why he's not being hired.

Of course it's all speculation as usual because there's been few straight answers coming out of Redskins Park lately.

--Nate Sandstrom

No comments: