Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Heisman Watch: Sept. 30

By Nate Sandstrom
Could the Big 12 season decide the Heisman Trophy winner? I think the answer is yes, as I have 3 Big 12 QB's at the top of my ballot in Bradford, McCoy and Daniels. In fact, the Big 12 is home to four of the nation's top five passers. And six of the top 10. And nine of the Top 20.

Meanwhile, Javon Ringer, who is one of my favorite players not on Wisconsin except for the day he plays Wisconsin, keeps racking up yardage, now posting three straight games with 198+ rushing. That said, I'm a little worried he'll wear out without a second back to spell him this year.

My other top RB this year, Knowshon Moreno, drops after the Alabama debacle.

I looked to Conference USA for the number five spot, ultimately going with Tulsa QB David Johnson, the nation's top rated passer, over Rice WR Jarett Dillard who is a TD machine in the suddenly high-powered Rice offense.

Here's my poll:

1. Sam Bradford, So., QB, Oklahoma. 209.1 rating. 72%, 16/2 for 1,293.
2. Chase Daniel, Sr., QB, Missouri. 193.4 rating. 76%, 12/1 for 1412.
3. Colt McCoy, Jr., QB, Texas.209.7 passer rating. 80%, 14/1 for 1,018. 278 yards rush, 4 TD.
4. Javon Ringer, Sr., RB, Michigan State. #2 rusher with 179.4 ypg and leads the nation with 12 TDs.
5. David Johnson, Sr., QB, Tulsa. 227.2 passer rating is tops in the nation! 73 %, 19/4, 1,505 yards passing with 12.75/att.

My Internet is running really slow tonight, so I'll update who everyone else has on Wednesday.

***Wednesday update****
So ESPN's experts poll looks pretty similar to my mock ballot, with four of our top five the same. Heisman Pundit's poll looks about the same. Neither gives a sniff to David Johnson, who really doesn't have a chance because of Tulsa's weak schedule. I love his numbers though.

No comments: