Monday, September 8, 2008

Quick hits from Sunday

By Nate Sandstrom

Answer me this: Why do so many NFL coaches challenge plays that clearly won’t be overturned in the hopes that the official will find something?

Tony Dungy did it twice tonight. Joe Gibbs did it almost weekly. I’ve never seen it work. If anyone recalls it, let me know.

But that wasn’t my biggest pet peeve of the day. That award goes (surprise!) to Norv Turner. A recreation of my experience:

Approx two minutes remaining. Chargers score a TD to go up 23-19. You have to go for two, right? In case Carolina scores, at least make them make the extra point (See BYU-Washington yesterday. Worst call ever!). Wrong. Norv must have lost his card because he elects to kick and Chargers go up 24-19.

A few minutes later, Carolina scores as time expires. No XP needed. Idiot! Even though they made the unnecessary kick, I would have liked to see Kasay have to make it when it counted.

My other quick thoughts from today:

• Why do I always overrate Detroit and Houston going into the season?
• Seattle looked terrible. Hasselbeck was 6-20 in the first half. Kerney was repeatedly bottled up.
• This may finally be Arizona’s year.
• Carson Palmer looked worse than Seattle, Detroit and Houston combined. Does that make Baltimore good or Cincy really, really bad?
• I should’ve bet $1,000 on Dallas at Cleveland.
• The Pats are screwed without Brady.
• Kyle Orton just wins.
• Reality sets in. The Redskins definitely look like they will finish last in the NFC East.

1 comment:

RugbyDan said...

Ok, the Redskins didn't look great, but I wouldn't slate them as last just yet. The Redskins horrible play calling (I thought Gibbs retired) made the Giants D look better than they are. It's easy to play defense when the opposing team runs on 1st and 2nd down every series!!! The jury is still out on the Eagles, I think the Rams are just really that bad. Seriously, 3 100 yd receivers? Dallas should clearly win the division, but the Giants need to find a way to not let teams stay in the game. They should have beaten the Skins badly, yet the score was 16-7. And I like the Bills to take their division, if not, they're moving to Toronto.