Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Heisman Watch: Nov. 11

By Nate Sandstrom

In short:
1. Michael Crabtree, So., WR, Texas Tech.
2. Graham Harrell, Sr., QB, Texas Tech.
3. Colt McCoy, Jr., QB, Texas.
4. Sam Bradford, So., QB, Oklahoma.
5. Scott McKillop, Sr., LB, Pitt.

Down in Lubbock, Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell and WR Michael Crabtree are battling each other in the race for the Heisman. The situation reminds me of New England's Randy Moss/Tom Brady MVP race last year.

I was in the minority in picking Randy Moss, and in this situation I show an apparent previously-unkown-to-me bias against QB's in taking Crabtree over Harrell. Partly I pick the sophomore wideout because I think that amazing TD that beat Texas was more Crabtree's catch than Harell's catch. I also like how he is second in the nation in scoring while playing in much bigger games than the leader, Michigna St. RB Javon Ringer (who has shriveled in the biggest spots).

Meanwhile, Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford and Texas QB Colt McCoy keep the Big 12 South well-represented on my mock ballot. I'm tempted to put Jeremy Maclin, #2 in the nation in all-purpose yards in the 5-slot, but I should probably leave the Big 12 for one slot and will select Pitt LB Scott McKillop, who is #2 in the nation in solo tackles, including 1.4 tackles for loss per game.

Elsewhere, Crabtree is not getting as much love at Heisman Pundit's straw poll or from ESPN's experts. However, ESPN's Rodney Gimore agrees with me in putting Crabtree #1.

Also, don't look now but junior Florida QB Tim Tebow is starting to make a strong run at defending his Heisman-ship from last year.

No comments: