Sunday, October 12, 2008

Mark's Week 7 NFL-Exclusive Jessup Lockdown

Because #1's in college football are falling faster than the Dow Jones, I'm investing this week's locks in a more conservative NFL stock, where my father and his father made their money. By the way, is anyone what its going to be like when the financial crisis hits home and families realize ten grand for a PSL and $1,000 for tickets just isn't in the budget and stadiums stop selling out and games get blacked out? Anyway, on that positive note, I invite you to get rich quick and take the following picks:

Carolina (+1.5) at Tampa Bay:
Carolina is back. It took me a while to be willing to say that after their week one escape in San Diego. Delhomme is back in form, completing a solid 60% of his passes for a 90 passer rating. Carolina has won 8 of the last 10 matchups outright against Tampa Bay. And the underdog is 8-2 in those meetings. Carolina 23, Tampa Bay 17

Baltimore (+4) at Indy
This, too, is not a homer pick. I don't expect the outright win, but I certainly expect Baltimore to be competetive. I know Manning versus Flacco doesn't sound good, but I'm looking at McClain and McGahee vs. Colts D. Indy is giving up a whopping 188 yards of rushing per game! Baltimore is running for 153 per game. Indy is only rushing for 67 yards per game and Baltimore is only giving up 63 on the ground. If the Colts are going to win, they're going to have to throw the ball against the Ravens' weakened secondary, but look for the Ravens to throw him off his game with lots of pressure. If Matt Stover wasn't 0-3 in field goals over 40 yards, I'd pick Baltimore for the outright win. Colts 21, Ravens 20.

Chicago (-3) at Atlanta
Matt Ryan has been better than I expected, but look for him to be put on his back this week. He's been carried by Michael Turner all year and when Turner gets stuffed by the Chicago D, how will Ryan fare? Not well. Look for a runaway game against my pet Falcons. Chicago 34, Falcons 10.

Sorry, no upset special this week. I don't have much faith in Cincy, St. Louis or Detroit. You'll get extra picks next week. Good luck.

No comments: