Saturday, October 18, 2008

Week 8 Jessup Lockdown

I, like Nate, suffered my first slaughter last weekend. But those are too be expected. Market corrections, we'll call them. Think of this week's picks as buying low! Apparently that is supposed to make you feel better. With that theme in mind, my first pick is a low spread:

Wake Forest (-2) at Maryland
The conventional wisdom around Maryland is that they play down to their lesser competition and get up for the big games. I'm not sure I'm a believer in that. I think Cal just came to town and played a horrible game and the time differential really hurt them. The one thing that would concern me in this pick is that the Terps clearly play better at home, averaging 43 points scored at home and only 11.3 on the road! However, Wake Forest is a good road team (2-0) with a good defense that is only allowing 15 points a game. Take Wake and give the 2. They'll put another nail in Maryland's slowly built coffin Wake 24 - MD 12

Texas (-4.5) vs Missouri
Look for the markets to finally settle this week and a #1 won't get knocked off. The Tigers have only played one road game this year. Yes, they won by 35 in Nebraska, but I look at Texas as the more tested team and therefore their numbers and performance is more reliable. They won't look ahead the way other #1s have this year. Texas 41 - Missouri 30

Tampa Bay (-10.5) vs. Seattle
Finally, I'm getting on Tampa's bandwagon. Let's hope I'm not buying high. Look, Seattle is losing its games by an average of 18.5 points. Tampa Bay is winning its games by an average of 10. Tampa is a superior home team. Seattle is traveling across the country, 1-4 against the spread, and the last time they came east against a good NFC team, they lost 44-6. Tampa 35 - Seattle 21

Upset Special
Iowa State (+7.5) vs. Nebraska
Iowa State has played a tough schedule with three of the last four on the road. Nebraska has only had to play on the road once and that was last week. So now they have two in a row on the road. Both teams are on a downslide and one of them has to recover. This will be a battle of the wills and I like the home team to come out on top. Iowa State 24 - Nebraska 21

No comments: