Monday, September 3, 2007

College football wrapup

By this point, everyone is I'm sure sick of talking about Appalachian State beating Michigan.... but how awesome was that?

I think the win was good for college football and shows the gains that the I-AA (I'm not getting into this FCS/FBS crap) teams are making.

To (deservedly) less fanfare, I-AA Nicholls State topped I-A Rice, a bowl team last year, 16-14. Expect Northern Iowa to give the Big 12's Iowa State all they can handle next week. Last year they lost to ISU by 1.

That said, Ohio State pounded Youngstown State and Alabama whipped W. Carolina.

This is exactly why I don't want a college football playoff. This game takes on far more significance because it has effectively ended Michigan's chance of a national title.

The Sun-Times's Herb Gould, among many others, finds the loss historic. The headline from his weekend wrap-up calls the loss a "permanent scar" on the program.

I think we'll see it again sometime in the next 3-4 years.

How about economic impacts? App. St. apparel orders are coming in from Ohio, reports the New York Times.

Elsewhere in college football:

**For being the "greatest team ever," USC wasn't overly impressive in their 38-10 win against Idaho.

**After a disastrous start to last season (19-10 loss to Montana State), Colorado starts out with a comeback win over Colorado State. Woody Paige sees improvement.

**Speaking of comeback seasons, Miami is trying to forget last year's 7-6 disaster. Randy Shannon's club gets off to a good start, but Oklahoma looms next week.

**Oklahoma, who I have predicted to be this year's national champ, could have scored 100 Saturday against North Texas. I watched a small amount of this game, but wound up focusing my viewing on Cal-Tennessee.

**DeSean Jackson is sick.If you didn't see his punt return TD, go to YouTube and look up "DeSean Jackson" and Tennessee.

**It appears that under new coach Tim Brewster, Minnesota will avoid record-breaking collapses by falling behind right away.

I'll post my Top 25 after tonight's FSU-Clemson game.


---Nate

No comments:

Blog Archive